Who we are
Living Languages aims to support the long-term maintenance and sustainability of Indigenous languages in Australia, and Indigenous people’s ownership of their language documentation and revitalisation work. We share knowledge and skills for looking after your own language - to learn it and teach it, and to design and manage your own language projects.
Living Languages is seeking Expressions of Interest from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander individuals who have connection to and knowledge of First Nations’ cultures and languages, for a two-year appointment to the position of Non-Executive Director.
The role requires attending approximately 10 board meetings and serving on at least one board committee per year (and associated preparation). Some intrastate travel is anticipated (AGMs and Significant Board Planning). The role may also require attendance in monthly conference calls for management, financial reporting and general compliance issues.
The role includes being a culture custodian of the organisation, which includes setting, promoting and monitoring the tone of the organisation’s culture.
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS (ESSENTIAL)
- Knowledge of a director’s responsibilities – includes an understanding of the role as well as the legal, ethical, fiduciary and financial responsibilities;
- Strategic expertise – the ability to review the strategy through constructive questioning and suggestion and contribute to the effective decision-making of the board;
- Risk management – experience in managing areas of major risk to the organisation;
- Industry knowledge – experience in similar organisations or industries
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS (DESIRABLE)
- Accounting and finance – the ability to read and comprehend the company’s accounts, financial material presented to the board, financial reporting requirements and some understanding of corporate finance;
- Legal – the board’s responsibility involves overseeing compliance with numerous laws as well as understanding the individual director’s legal duties and responsibilities;
- Managing people and achieving change – experience in current management thinking on employment, branding, engagement, strategic vision and stakeholder communication; experience in executive remuneration and compensation
- Education or experience relative to Indigenous languages and/or the company’s area of business
- Corporate governance and leadership experience and/or education
REMUNERATION AND BENEFITS
- Annual remuneration not included
- Travel and other expenses
- Other, such as any non-cash benefits
A position description is attached.