RSPCA ACT, Canberra’s only full-service animal welfare charity, is seeking a pragmatic and organised person to join our Inspectorate Team in the Australian Capital Territory. RSPCA ACT Inspectors investigate cruelty complaints, give help and advice on animal care, carry out rescues and collect sick and injured animals, inspect animal establishments and bring perpetrators of cruelty to court. This role can be hugely rewarding in terms of making a difference to animal welfare. It offers variety and daily challenges. The role is intellectually, emotionally and physically demanding, and will call on all your experience, judgement and personal skills. The emphasis is on working with people, rather than animals, and you need to be able to communicate clearly and effectively with a wide range of people and agencies. In this role, you will be required to undertake investigations individually and with other team members.
Essential requirements for this position are:
- Certificate IV in Government (Investigation) or the willingness to obtain within the first 12 months of commencement.
- Interpersonal skills, preferably in controlling confrontational situations
- Experience of working with animals
- Be physically fit
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Hold a valid manual driver’s licence
- Intermediate to advanced computer literacy
- Investigate reports of animal cruelty, neglect and emergency welfare situations.
- Plan and carry out immediate solutions to protect the health and welfare of animals at risk.
- Obtain statements from witnesses and conduct interviews with offenders.
- Compile accurate thorough briefs of evidence and attend court on these matters.
- Engage in a positive and solution-oriented manner with members of the public, other agencies and other stakeholders
- Focus on an educational approach, while keeping in mind the wellbeing of the animals
- Answer and assist with Inspectorate enquiries
- Work closely with other departments, especially the shelters and veterinary clinics
- Work closely with other team members
- Participate in training and development as required
- Take a proactive role in shaping and fostering a positive culture based on teamwork
- Represent the RSPCA ACT in a positive manner
- Support the broader RSPCA team and members of the public with guidance on the Animal Welfare Act 1992.
Salary: Commensurate with experience