The Ethics Centre (TEC) is a unique, Australian-based not-for-profit which works to place ethics at the centre of everyday life. It supports individuals and organisations to address complex ethical issues and stimulates public engagement through flagship programs like the Festival of Dangerous Ideas (FODI). It remains the only organisation in the world providing practical guidance on complex ethical issues across the full spectrum of society.
Primary purpose of the role
The Content Manager at TEC will own the creation and direction of all content initiatives across multiple platforms and formats. Our Content Manager will lead the development of our content with a publisher/journalist mindset.
We are looking for candidates who possess the ability to think both creatively and analytically. Content Manager duties include producing and publishing content, writing, editing and proofreading, formulating content strategies and managing a content team, among other tasks.
The Content Manager should be able to find creative ways of building an online presence, as well as use analytics in the formulation of a content strategy. At TEC, content is defined as multimedia articles, blog posts, white-papers, images, podcasts and videos that aid in fostering engagement and understanding online about ethics and our diverse initiatives, events and services. TEC has multiple audiences for our work across B2B and B2C.
The right candidate will have the heart of a teacher, with a love of learning, writing, and communicating in all forms. They will see the value of every person on our organisation and put them at ease, empowering them to share their expertise and knowledge to our varied audiences.
This role sits within the Engagement portfolio which covers the content, events, public programs, marketing and communications activity of TEC.
Typical weekly duties
- Publication of three or more new pieces of content, be it text (blog articles), video, or audio (podcasts).
- Brief external writers and subject specialist to create articles, scripts and content. Edit written content and provide feedback on drafts.
- Brief external agencies to create or capture where in-house production is not feasible.
- Liaison with marketing colleagues on campaign priorities.
- Interviewing internal subject matter experts for content.
- Collaborating with marketing on email marketing efforts, including newsletters.
- Ownership of all analytics and reporting for content efforts.
- Search engine optimisation (SEO) and search engine marketing (SEM) efforts for content.
- Lead social media for community engagement and long-term content promotion across two brands and multiple initiatives, with support from a content coordinator.
- Premium content production, including e-books and white papers etc.
- In consultation with marketing, general website updates and enhancements, e.g., new pages and calls-to-action placement.
- Professional development and continued education in relevant areas.
- Writing, editing and proofreading content.
- Identifying, recruiting and managing a content team consisting of a content coordinator and freelance writers, graphic designers, sound engineers, videographers, etc.
- Manage content budget and administrative requirements like licensing, contracting etc
- Formulating a cross-platform content strategy based on impact.
- Reporting on impact and outcomes, making recommendations to guide future content creation.
- Brainstorming with team members to develop new ideas.
- Building a following on social media with high levels of engagement.
- Providing editorial, creative and technical support to team members.
- Tracking analytics to ascertain content engagement levels.
- Managing content across all platforms, including email and social media.
- Collaborating with marketing for synchronised and dynamic digital campaigns.
- Managing a cohort of 6-10 Fellows (philosophers) to develop engaging and rich expert content on ethics.
- Leading the strategic direction of all editorial content related to TEC’s initiatives, programs and brand including FODI; The Ethics Alliance, the Banking & Finance Oath, Consulting and Leadership services, Ethi-call and ethics in general.
- Coordinating and creating plans for content capture from events and subsequent distribution.
- Working with the Marketing & Communications Manager and Head of Fundraising and Development to drive tier one media relations and interest in our content across an extensive network of contacts, with a focus on thought leadership, news and influencers.
- In consultation with Marketing & Communications Manager, developing a compelling yet simple narrative across a range of communications formats e.g., key messages, media releases, website content and other written materials, ensuring consistency in messages delivered across diverse channels.
- Work with Head of Fundraising and Development on opportunities to develop branded content as required in service of partnerships.
Key working relationships
The Content Manager reports to the Director of Engagement.
The role will involve frequent collaboration with key internal stakeholders across the organisation and will work closely with Marketing and Communications Manager and TEC’s Fellows.
Skills, knowledge and experience
As Content Manager your ideal skills, knowledge and experience should include:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, English or related field.
- 3-4 years agency experience or in a similar role.
- Impeccable writing and editorial skills, with an outstanding command of the English language.
- Training as a print or broadcast journalist is a bonus. Great at telling a story using words, images, or audio, and an understanding of how to create content that draws an audience.
- The ability to think like an educator, intuitively understanding what the audience needs to know and how they want to consume it.
- The ability to create content and adapt tone and language to suit multiple and varied audiences, including C-suite through to general public.
- A passion for new technology tools and usage of those tools within blogs and social media outreach.
- Clear articulation of the business goal behind the creation of a piece (or series) of content.
- Project management skills to manage editorial schedules and deadlines within the organisation and ongoing campaigns.
- Familiarity with principles of marketing.
- Incredible people skills.
- Adept at keyword placement and SEO, SEM best practices.
- Highly computer literate and advanced knowledge of HTML.
- Proficiency with popular content management systems.
- Experience with social media management.
- Creativity and the ability to develop original content.
- Ability to develop content that provokes engagement.
- Strong leadership qualities.
- An interest in ethics.
- Be a team player
What we offer
- Salary $110k + super full-time contract
- Flexible working from home and office days
- Opportunity to have broad impact
- Part of a small, highly engaged and collaborative team