Our purpose: To inspire people, enliven communities, and confront injustice.
Our values: As an organisation we are Imaginative, Respectful, Compassionate, and Bold.
At Uniting, we believe in taking real steps to make the world a better place. We work to inspire people, enliven communities, and confront injustice. Our focus is always on the people we serve, no matter where they are at in their life.
This role leads Media and Social Media strategy and activities to promote Uniting, it’s service and advocacy objectives and to protect and enhance its reputation. The position works across Uniting as well as with the Church Media team, Affiliates and Partners to achieve media’s strategic objectives.
- With the Head of Department, planning and developing the Media and Social Media strategy that elevates the Uniting brand and is consistent with Uniting’s advocacy strategy
- Supervising and supporting team members to implement the Media and Social Media strategy with operating plans and measurable outcomes
- Expertly guiding Media and Social Media opportunities
- Providing expert advice and management of Media and Social Media during crises and issues, and proactively anticipating reputational risks
- With other Uniting teams as appropriate, developing and implementing a program of recurring public relations/thought leadership campaigns to support Uniting strategy and objectives
- Leading and developing feature articles, editorials, and other communications initiatives for external audiences that position Uniting as a thought leader on relevant advocacy issues
- Leading and creating Media content and collateral including news releases, fact sheets, briefing packs, talking points, photos, video news releases, radio news releases, video and audio content, and other content as required
- Drafting speeches and presentations for Executive team
- Provide specialist expertise in Media management to support internal clients
- Monitoring external trends and practices, and actively applying these insights to Uniting’s Media and Social Media activity
- Provide guidance for Media support on marketing/brand campaigns
- Lead formative and evaluative research methodology, including monitoring of Media coverage, including campaign reporting, and quarterly reporting and analysis
- Providing expert and proactive program of Media training and coaching to senior internal stakeholders to ensure that Uniting is professionally represented in the Media by well-supported spokespeople
- Leading development and evaluation of Media and News sections on Uniting website
- Ensuring consistency and alignment with stakeholders within the Uniting Church in relation to Media campaigns and issues
- Being flexible with working hours, with out of hours work required
Bachelor qualification in a relevant field or equivalent experience, including Media, Communications or Journalism
- This is a management role, typically requiring 6 or more years’ experience, including two or more years’ experience supervising a small team of specialists. You will have excellent written and verbal communication skills, be organised, systematic, thorough, accurate, and disciplined.
- Proven ability to apply strategic level thinking, problem-solving, and decision making to the resolution of complex issues, and to steer Media stakeholders through this process
- Proven track record in Media management, including in-house or agency experience
- Proven experience managing complex communication campaigns
- Experience using formative and evaluative research methodologies
- Subject matter expert on crisis and issues management
- Strong, established, and demonstrable Media network and relationships
- The ability to work effectively with photographers, filmmakers, and multimedia producers to develop compelling Media products for a range of platforms
- First-class editing and sub-editing skills. Strong attention to detail
- Proven track record in proactively recognising and responding to advocacy opportunities
- Understanding of Social Media strategy and implementation
- A solid understanding of marketing (digital and traditional) will be a distinct advantage
- Success in developing and implementing public communication and social justice issue campaigns
- Experience producing content for broadcast media, including video and radio news releases and content
- Social Media experience
Benefits & Culture
Uniting is proud to be an EEO employer who supports an inclusive approach in the workplace.
- Base salary at 125k + Super + salary packaging - Total package at 147K (a higher package is negotiable for the right applicant)
- Paid travel entitlement
- Ongoing training & development
- Career development opportunities
For a confidential discussion regarding this fantastic role, please call Louise Massie at 0468 341 590 or email email@example.com, using the subject line: Media Social Media Lead enquiry via EthicalJobs.
PD - Media Lead 2020.pdf
Employment with Uniting is subject to satisfactory background checks which may include a National Police Check and Reference Checks.