The United Workers Union is seeking a highly motivated individual to work in our Industrial Team in Adelaide, South Australia in a full-time capacity (5 days per week) or permanent part-time (4 days per week).
The role of the Para Legal/Legal Secretary is to deliver exceptional day to day administration services and support to our national based Industrial Team.
ABOUT UNITED WORKERS’ UNION
United Workers’ Union is a powerful member-led union whose sole purpose is to serve the collective interests of members in workplaces and communities by winning significant and long-lasting gains.
The Union is driving change by growing union membership, developing leadership amongst our members, encouraging active member participation in the union, building and enforcing standards in our sectors, and campaigning in the community and politics.
As a union with a proudly diverse membership, we are committed to equity and inclusion; and continuing to build a union that is truly representative of the workers we cover. We encourage applications from people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander backgrounds, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, LGBTQIA+ people and women.
The duties of this position are as follows:
- Scheduling court appointments, hearings and other meetings;
- Assistance in the preparation of basic court applications and letters;
- Assistance in proof-reading and formatting of documents;
- Filing of documents with the Courts and Tribunals;
- Opening and closing of files, and case file management (electronic and hard-copy);
- Providing assistance with administrative tasks associated with court and tribunal proceedings, including the preparation of briefs and document production;
- Liaising with union members, solicitors and registry staff;
- Producing reports and data-entry, as required;
- Develop and maintain constructive working relationships with other teams within the Union;
- Comply with policies and Standard Operating Procedures to ensure high quality and consistent work;
- Ensure workflow processes are actioned in a timely and consistent manner;
- Ensure that the Union’s values of equity, diversity and inclusion are upheld and promoted;
- Uphold a strict level of confidentiality; and
- Other duties as requested.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
The key selection criteria for this position are:
- At least 5+ years’ experience as a legal secretary/para-legal in employment law and/or workers compensation law;
- Familiarity with filing of documents in the Fair Work Commission, Federal Circuit Court of Australia and/or the South Australian Employment Tribunal;
- Comprehension of legal terminology;
- Strong communication skills;
- Advanced Microsoft skills in Office, Word and Excel;
- Excellent verbal and written communication and liaison skills;
- Strong ability to work as part of a team;
- Excellent Organisational skills;
- Enthusiastic, proactive and can respond to conflicting deadlines;
- Ability to work well autonomously and use initiative;
- Deliver a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail; and
- A commitment to the United Workers Union’s values.
An attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful applicant, which will include:
- Salary commensurate with demonstrated skills and experience;
- 16% superannuation.
For further information about the role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: Para Legal / Legal Secretary enquiry via EthicalJobs.