- Full time 2 year Maximum term Contract
VACCHO is the peak representative for the health and wellbeing of Aboriginal people in Victoria and champions community control and health equality for Aboriginal Communities. We are a centre of expertise, policy advice, training, innovation and leadership in Aboriginal health and wellbeing. VACCHO advocates for the health equality and optimum health of all Aboriginal people in Victoria.
We are seeking an individual who would thrive in providing management, leadership and Government relations expertise in our Policy and Research Unit at VACCHO. The Manager of Policy and Government Relations will lead the identification and response to emerging advocacy priorities.
This role will work closely with the Executive Director, Policy and Research to help support VACCHO’s new strategic goal of being a ‘strong voice’ to influence positive change for the Aboriginal Health and Wellbeing Sector.
Not only will you be a leader for our team of Senior Policy Officers, but you will also be proactively working alongside VACCHO’s Members and Aboriginal leaders to set the organisations strategy for political engagement.
While developing strong relationships with politicians, policy makers, the sector, and other external agencies, you will be required to maintain a strong working knowledge of major health and wellbeing policies at both state and federal level, produce a wide range of high-quality written outputs for various audiences including well targeted research reports, policy briefings, position papers, blogs, and also creating the best possible operating environment for VACCHO and our Members.
To be successful you will have:
- Demonstrated experience in leadership and staff management including responsibility for effective policy output, staff capacity building, and creating and maintaining an effective and highly motivated team
- Experience and background in policy analysis
- Exceptional stakeholder- engagement and relationship building skills
- Tertiary qualification in public health, research policy or other relevant field
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Demonstrated knowledge of the political and reform environment as it impacts on Aboriginal Victorians
- Strong planning and organisational skills, effective time management, and a commitment to achieving goals
- Demonstrated understanding and commitment to Victorian Aboriginal Health, Aboriginal Culture, and the philosophy and practice of Aboriginal Community Control
- Demonstrated ability to work with Aboriginal organisations, communities and individuals in culturally appropriate ways as well as mainstream health organisations
Compliance with VACCHO Standards
- VACCHO is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait to apply for all positions advertised (Equal Opportunity Act 2010). We are committed to ensuring our workplace and member services support also reflect this.
- Everyone is welcome at VACCHO and candidates regardless of age, cultural background, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or religious affiliation are encouraged to apply.
- VACCHO is committed to welcoming and embracing the diversity of cultures, identities, gender, sex, and sexually diverse identities and expressions, experiences, beliefs, and values of all people. VACCHO believes in the right for all people to be treated with the respect and dignity at all times, and that all people who work for, govern or undertake work at or visit VACCHO should at all times feel safe and included at VACCHO.
- VACCHO requires all employees to comply with all work health and safety rules, regulations and relevant Codes of Practice (Victorian Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004).
- VACCHO requires employees to participate in and promote our quality control, risk management, safety and compliance systems. This includes participating in the development and application of VACCHO’s policies and procedures, as well as the identification, reporting and management of risks. This includes adherence to all VACCHO Quality Management System (QMS) ISO 9001:2015 requirements.
- VACCHO requires employees to adhere to a Code of Conduct, including commitment to confidentiality and conflict of interest declarations.
Other Employment Related Information
- A National Police Records Check is required as a condition of employment.
- A current Working with Children Check is required.
- A current Victorian Drivers License is required, and a copy is to be provided before any expiry date. The position may require travel throughout the state of Victoria and occasional interstate travel.
A position description is attached.