Beyond Blue's vision is that all people in Australia achieve their best possible mental health. Our mission is to promote good mental health. We create change to protect everyone's mental health and improve the lives of individuals, families and communities affected by anxiety, depression and suicide. We value collaboration, respect, enthusiasm, excellence, innovation and integrity.
Research and evaluation are central to Beyond Blue’s work and are a key component of our Strategic Plan. Beyond Blue is committed to evidence-based practice and continuous improvement. Our products and services are grounded in research evidence and insights from our community and evaluated for reach, quality and impact. Beyond Blue aims to contribute to the evidence-base for mental health and suicide prevention.
The Research, Evaluation and Monitoring Adviser – CoE, is dedicated to supporting the work of the Beyond Blue Insights and Innovation Centre of Excellence and will work closely with the Community Experience, Business Intelligence, Product and Service Design and Brand and Marketing teams. The Insights and Innovation Centre of Excellence (CoE) is being established to support Beyond Blue in its transformation to becoming more community-centric. The CoE will support the Lines of Business to achieve their strategy with frameworks and tools to incubate and accelerate best in class products and services for the community, through agile and iterative design and its trial, through to launch and scale. This role will entail working at the intersection of evaluation, monitoring and research, and human-centred design.
The Research, Evaluation and Monitoring Adviser (general) role is dedicated to supporting the work of the Wellness and Prevention, Supports and Services, and/or Community and Partnerships groups that make up the Beyond Blue organisation.
Overall the Research, Evaluation and Monitoring Adviser roles (in collaboration with program teams) support the planning, design, commissioning, implementation and translation of research, evaluation and monitoring activities across Beyond Blue. This includes the implementation of the Beyond Blue Performance Framework (organisational outcomes framework) and other team-led projects.
Other duties and key accountabilities are:
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Provide proactive, effective strategic advice and ongoing support to Beyond Blue staff on all aspects of monitoring and evaluation including both quantitative and qualitative methodologies
- Develop and implement monitoring and evaluation frameworks in line with the Beyond Blue Performance Framework
- Draft Requests for Proposal for external monitoring and evaluation projects (note: Beyond Blue commissions most evaluation), help coordinate procurement processes, and lead tender assessment panels
- Plan and undertake other internal evaluation and monitoring projects and ensure the translation of findings.
- Provide proactive, effective strategic advice and ongoing support to Beyond Blue staff on all aspects of research
- Provide, in a timely and proactive manner, evidence (e.g. literature reviews) to program teams to inform product and service design, implementation and continuous improvement. Provide human research ethics advice to the business
- Plan and undertake other research projects as required and ensure the translation of findings.
- Support the implementation of the Beyond Blue Knowledge Translation Framework
- Support knowledge management at Beyond Blue and assist in driving evidence-based practice across the business
- Evaluation and Learning team and fully participate in learning and continuous improvement activities
- Work with the Research, Evaluation and Monitoring Lead and Head of Research, Evaluation and Learning to develop and nurture networks with external research and evaluation stakeholders.
- Ensure project management and business as usual activities (including management of relevant budgets) are implemented in accordance with Beyond Blue processes and systems and are in line with company policy and program governance
- Provide high quality written documents including briefing notes, preparation of contracts and agreements, and project management documentation; provide input into the development of key reports, including Board reports, Beyond Blue external reporting, and ad hoc reports as required.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- A tertiary qualification in a relevant discipline (post-graduate qualifications desirable) with extensive experience in a similar role.
- Strong understanding of evaluation and research theories and methods including an understanding of innovative approaches such as developmental evaluation, realist evaluation, implementation science, and outcome measurement for learning and continuous improvement.
- Demonstrated experience in the design, commissioning, conducting, and managing of research and evaluation projects in the context of human-centred design, community experience and social and market research.
- Demonstrated ability to source and synthesise evidence and establish strategies and processes to ensure the translation of evidence into product and service design and implementation, and program and policy activities.
- Experience working in cross-disciplinary teams e.g. with business analysts, designers, marketers.
- Proven ability and willingness to support, guide and provide advice to others on activities and processes relating to innovation and design e.g. human ethics.
- Proven high level of stakeholder management and engagement.
- Proven ability to work with a high level of ambiguity and complex environments
- Exposure to agile methodologies e.g. developing minimal viable products and an ability to be effective in a high paced environment.
- Experience in ethnographic/design research is preferred
- Ability to champion and generate enthusiasm for research and evaluation.
Beyond Blue is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability or age. We strongly encourage people from all cultural backgrounds to apply, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Applicants are welcome to access the Beyond Blue Innovate Reconciliation Action Plan 2020-2022.
A current position description can be found on our careers page.